I believe one of the reasons that Bill Gates fade away from tech world is that he was suddenly enlightened: Computer Tech cannot save the world. The computer technology won't solve his ultimate problem.
But, behold, doesn't technology make the world better?
1. Tech ensures that government has the possibility to be small.
2. Tech lower the commination fee and break the Tele-Monopoly
3. Tech helps education, countless books are accessible.
4. Tech make hospital runs more efficient.
5. Tech is now the core of Banks.
And I also believe that Tech will free people from boring labor working and focus on creation and enjoy life.